What is Advent?
Advent is a season of waiting, and recognizing those who paved the way for us..to wait. so we say a prayer once a week – or daily if you are really committed – to slow down and remember Who we are waiting for.
All the elements of Advent have a meaning.
- The evergreen wreath symbolizes the unending love of our Heavenly Father.
- Purple is the primary color of advent and it symbolizes repentance and fasting, royalty, the sovereignty of Christ and the anticipation of the coming King.
- The first purple candle is the Candle of Hope
- The second purple candle is called the Bethlehem Candle or the Candle of Preparation
- The rose or pink candle is used on the third week and it represents joy. It signals a shift from repentance to celebration. It is called the Shepherd Candle, or the Candle of Joy.
- The last purple candle is used on the fourth and final week of Advent and has three names: the Advent Candle, Angel Candle, or the Candle of Love.
- The white candle symbolizes purity and light and represents Christ as the sinless, pure savior who made our sins as white as snow. It is called the Christ Candle.
Putting all the elements together
You can get as creative as you like with your wreath. I bought all my elements at Hobby Lobby for under $20. I used the first elements I bought for three years. This year, I sprang for another package of Advent candles at Hallmark. Check my Pinterest page to see my curation of Advent ideas for all ages and budgets.
Advent Always Starts the Sunday after Thanksgiving!
And now what?
Now we wait. Advent lasts till the Baby Jesus is born, so we wait for nearly four weeks! Every week on Friday, I will send you a send you an email reminder with a link for daily and weekly prayers that start the following Sunday night. For beginners, I recommend keeping it simple and committing just to Sunday night. Next year, you will have all the information to decide if Advent is important enough to expand your commitment.
Do you have any questions about Advent?
Shoot me an email and I will do my best to include an answer to your question for all our readers.