All the elements of Advent have a meaning.
- The evergreen wreath symbolizes the unending love of our Heavenly Father.
- Purple is the primary color of advent and it symbolizes repentance and fasting, royalty, the sovereignty of Christ and the anticipation of the coming King.
- First purple candle is the Candle of Hope
- Second purple candle is called the Bethlehem Candle or the Candle of Preparation.
- The last purple candle is used on the fourth and final week of Advent and has three names: the Advent Candle, Angel Candle or the Candle of Love.
- The rose or pink candle is used on the third week and it represents joy. It signals a shift from repentance to celebration. It is called the Shepherd Candle or the Candle of Joy.
- The white candle symbolizes purity and light and represents Christ as the sinless, pure savior who made our sins as white as snow. It is called the Christ Candle.
You can get as creative as you like with your wreath. I bought all my elements at Hobby Lobby for under $20. I have used it for two years and this year I will use them all again. The candles are all different sizes, but they will work for one more year. Next year, I promise, I will buy new candles. Check my Pinterest page here to see my curation of Advent ideas.
Advent Starts Sunday, November 27th!
Sign up here to get your weekly Advent Guide delivered to your inbox!